Dr. Steve D. Heitkamp
Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor
Doctor of Ministry in Pastoral Counseling and Psychotherapy
American Association of Pastoral Counselors (AAPC) Fellow
Executive Director – Horizon Hope Counseling, Inc.
618-367-2194 - O'Fallon, IL
"I come to my therapeutic work with the compassionate heartfelt intention of a pastor and clinical insight of a psychotherapist. Pastor’s and physicians often refer to me and they receive positive feedback as persons improve functioning and participate in their communities. Those who refer to me have found that I am a trusted and professional resource to patients and parishioners. I utilize the skills I have gained to assist individuals, children, couples and families at very important times in their lives. I count it a privilege to sit with persons as they seek healthier ways to be in relationship with each other and the world around them.
As an ordained United Methodist Elder, my appointment in the Illinois Great Rivers Conference is to Horizon Hope Counseling, Inc., as the Executive Director. I am both pastor and licensed therapist, integrating the disciplines of theology and mental health. Individuals, couples and families seek healing within our walls and my core value is that people come for restoration in the presence of God. I love what I do. Miracles happen that are within the intimate walls of confidentiality. I am privileged to see Christ every day in the lives and stories of God’s mercy and grace, and am amazed at the incredible depth and resiliency of people.”
Louisville Presbyterian Theological Seminary. Louisville, KY (2003)
Doctor of Ministry: Pastoral Counseling/Psychotherapy
Care and Counseling Clinical Residency. St. Louis, MO (2002)
3 year Training and Clinical Experience. Post Graduate Training in Pastoral Counseling and Psychotherapy. Focus on Psychodynamic and Systems Theory.
Asbury Theological Seminary. Wilmore, KY (1991)
Masters of Divinity
Asbury College. Wilmore, KY (1987)
Bachelor of Arts: Major - Psychology (Double Major in Clinical and Counseling Foundations) Minor in Christian Education
Professional License, Certifications:
Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor (LCPC) Illinois
Current License Number: #180006995
Fellow in the American Association of Pastoral Counselors (2002)
Elder in Full Connection in the United Methodist Church Elder - (1993); Deacon - (1991)
- Appointed to UM Congregationss in Indiana and Illinois 1989-2002.
- Appointed to Care and Counseling 1999-2008.
- Appointed to Horizon Hope Counseling, Inc. 2008.
Substance Abuse and Dependance Training for Clergy and Faith Communities: (2005)
Training provided by US Dept. of Health and Human Servies: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration in cooperation with the American Association of Pastoral Counselors.
Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI): (2004)
Interpretation and Analysis - Training in Minneapolis, MN
Clergy Testing and Interpretation Team of Care and Counseling: (2002-2007)
Specialized traininng in interpretation, interviewing, and writing reports for Clergy Candidates in the United Methodist Church and other judicatories, throughout Illinois and Missouri.
Counseling and Psychotherapy Specialties:
Counseling and Psychotherapy: to Adults, Individuals, Couples, Families, Children, Adolescents with problems such as, anxiety depression, life transitions, school concerns, grief, and loss.
Clinical Work with Clergy/Clergy Families:
- Psychotherapy/Counseling with Clergy/Clergy Families in Multiple Denominations
- Experience in Training Pastors in Referral and Pastoral Counseling Education
- Experience in Consultation to Clergy and Ministry issues/dynamics.
Facilitator of Family of Origin Systems Group for Episcopal Leaders of Episcopalian Church:
- Serve as the Consultant to 8 Bishops of the Episcopalian Church for Two-Day Retreats, three times/year. (2005-Present)
- Member of the Faculty of Care and Counseling 2003-2008. Instructor in the following areas: Faith and Family of Origin and Helping Professional Systems, Pscyhodynamic Psychopathology. Faculty of the Pastoral Care Specialist Program of Care and Counseling.
Professional Activities and Memberships:
- Member of the Illinois Great Rivers Conference of the United Methodist Church (Elder)
- Attend Christ United Methodist Church, Fairview Heights, IL
- Assist the Board of Ordained Ministry of Illinois Great Rivers Conference with Clergy Evaluations for Clergy Candidates
- Support FCA - Metro East, IL
- Guest Speaker at local churches, businesses, and schools
If you would like to make an appointment with Dr. Steve Heitkamp, please make a note in the Comments box when you Schedule Online.